Opening file(Samba server) with lots of files can take long

OPlayer plays almost any file formats in your iDevice, no need to spend several hours to convert your videos.

Re: Opening file(Samba server) with lots of files can take l

Postby admin » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:21 am

ghostdunks wrote:
ghostdunks wrote:There are 5 directories, named "1", "10", "100", "500", "1000", each directory containing the number of the files specified in the name of the directory.If you play the file in the 1 directory, it plays immediately. Even in the 10 and 100 directories, playing a file in those directories are pretty quick. However, when you play a file from the 500 directory, it takes quite some time before it actually does play the file. As per my original post, I understand that it takes longer to get the initial directory file listing as there are more files, but once retrieved, it shouldn't affect how long it actually takes to play the file. The worst situation is when you play a file from the 1000 directory, it crashes before it can actually play the file. Would say that's a pretty big bug. As it seems to be affected by the number of files in the directory, it looks like the player is doing something else before actually playing the file.

Have just tested the latest version(v2.1.0), and the performance issue with playing a file in a directory with a lot of files still exists. You've fixed the bug with the crashing when playing a file from the 1000 directory, but the original problem is still there. It takes a long time before it actually plays the file. ie. if I play a file from the 10 directory, it plays almost immediately, but if I try and play a file from the 1000 directory, it takes 10-15 seconds(if not longer) before it starts caching and playing. As per my original post, I understand that it takes longer to get the initial directory file listing as there are more files, but once retrieved, it shouldn't affect how long it actually takes to play the file.

it should be the time to search for the subtitle file, we will check it more.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ghostdunks » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:51 am

If the extra time is used to search for a subtitle file, then there should be an option to NOT search for a subtitle file. Seems a bit too much to force a search for a matching subtitle file every time a file is played, especially when I'm sure there are tons of people out there using this app who don't require subtitles.

eg. in Subtitle Options, have an option to automatically search for matching subtitle file or not. That way, people who don't use subtitles can skip this step which just adds unnecessary processing.
ghostdunks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby admin » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:03 am

ghostdunks wrote:If the extra time is used to search for a subtitle file, then there should be an option to NOT search for a subtitle file. Seems a bit too much to force a search for a matching subtitle file every time a file is played, especially when I'm sure there are tons of people out there using this app who don't require subtitles.

eg. in Subtitle Options, have an option to automatically search for matching subtitle file or not. That way, people who don't use subtitles can skip this step which just adds unnecessary processing.

We will try to enhance it in the future update.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ghostdunks » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:24 am

admin wrote:We will try to enhance it in the future update.

Can you first test more and confirm that this problem is indeed caused by "be the time to search for the subtitle file." issue? This problem was raised in Feb and hasn't been fixed yet, so I want to try and get a resolution for this ASAP. I don't want for you to add an option for Subtitle options if that is not the root cause of the main problem(long time taken to actually play a file even after directory listing completed).
ghostdunks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby admin » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:33 am

ghostdunks wrote:
admin wrote:We will try to enhance it in the future update.

Can you first test more and confirm that this problem is indeed caused by "be the time to search for the subtitle file." issue? This problem was raised in Feb and hasn't been fixed yet, so I want to try and get a resolution for this ASAP. I don't want for you to add an option for Subtitle options if that is not the root cause of the main problem(long time taken to actually play a file even after directory listing completed).

We have found the issue here, will fix the loading time cost issue in the next updte.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ghostdunks » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:50 am

Great! You don't need me to keep my samba servers up now that you've found the cause of the issue now, correct?
ghostdunks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby admin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:52 am

ghostdunks wrote:Great! You don't need me to keep my samba servers up now that you've found the cause of the issue now, correct?

Yes, enhanced our loading method fixed this issue.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ghostdunks » Tue May 05, 2015 3:52 am

Just tested with the latest version, and finally the problem is fixed! Thanks for finally fixing this....it took a long time, but i'm glad its finally fixed so I can actually browse/play my videos on my NAS with thousands of videos.
ghostdunks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Previous

Return to OPlayer Problems and Solutions [iPhone/iPad]