Opening file(Samba server) with lots of files can take long

OPlayer plays almost any file formats in your iDevice, no need to spend several hours to convert your videos.

Opening file(Samba server) with lots of files can take long

Postby ghostdunks » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:03 pm

I've noticed this while browsing media files on my NAS. If there are a lot of other files in the same directory eg. 400 files(which is quite common in a media server), then when I try and play a media file with OPlayer, it can take quite some time before it actually opens the file and plays it.

Example:
- Opening file called abc123.avi in a SAMBA folder where there are 400 other files in same directory, it will take an additional 10-20 seconds, sometimes longer, before it even starts caching the file(ie. it goes 10%, 20%, etc.. and then the video starts playing).
- If I open the same abc123.avi file in a SAMBA folder where there are no other files in same directory, it starts caching the file and playing the video immediately.
- The size of the video file does not matter, can be small or large. I tested this with a 2mb file, and also 1 gig files, same behaviour
- Note, this is AFTER it has retrieved the list of files in that directory, which understandably takes longer the more files there are in the directory. But once the list of files has been retrieved and a video selected, it shouldn't take even more time to open the video file.

You can test this on your end by just finding a small video file, and just copying it over and over again into the same directory, so there are multiple files in there until there are 200-400 files, then try and open the video file in OPlayer and you will see what I mean.

I tested this on the following SAMBA folders
- Windows 7 share
- Ubuntu Samba share
ghostdunks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Opening file(Samba server) with lots of files can take l

Postby admin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:30 am

thanks for your information, we will check it here.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ghostdunks » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:29 am

Any update/progress on this?
ghostdunks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby admin » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:49 am

ghostdunks wrote:Any update/progress on this?

Sorry, we haven't checked it, don't worry, it is still in our plan list.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Benf » Tue May 27, 2014 8:37 pm

To add I also have this issue, using Samba on Centos 6.5, Samba 3.6.9-168, opening a directory with 640 files using an iPad 3 Wifi / 64GB

From selecting a file to play, it takes 20-30 seconds to start - the icon goes Green once selected, and you have to then wait a long time before playback starts

On the same server I have another folder with 141 items and once selected the item plays immediately without this issue.

This issue has been present for the last 6-9 months in the builds of OPlayer HD.

Any updates would be appriciated.
Benf
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby ghostdunks » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:49 am

This needs to be prioritised I think. I have added more files to my media server, and now after it retrieves the listing of files in a folder, when I try and play one of them, the whole app crashes and never plays the video. When I try and play a file in a folder with a lot less files,it works fine.

I can get around this by splitting up all the files in my main folder into multiple subfolders so they are more spread out but I shouldn't need to do this for your player to work
ghostdunks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby admin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:52 am

ghostdunks wrote:This needs to be prioritised I think. I have added more files to my media server, and now after it retrieves the listing of files in a folder, when I try and play one of them, the whole app crashes and never plays the video. When I try and play a file in a folder with a lot less files,it works fine.

I can get around this by splitting up all the files in my main folder into multiple subfolders so they are more spread out but I shouldn't need to do this for your player to work

we haven't reproduce it here or our Mac os and windows 7, so can we know where the samba server hosts?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ghostdunks » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:15 am

admin wrote:we haven't reproduce it here or our Mac os and windows 7, so can we know where the samba server hosts?

Really? How many files is there in the directory that you are testing with? There needs to be a lot of files(say 500) for the problem to be really obvious. Note, there should be a lot of files in that one folder, not in total over many subfolders in that folder

Obviously another poster,benf, also has this issue in Centos, along with windows 7 and Ubuntu for me, so it can't just be my issue, or OS specific

You need to reproduce it locally on a local network because over remote network, because it's slower than local, the performance and result will be different
ghostdunks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Benf » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:42 am

Just to further add - after the long pause I had before playing content, OPlayer HD now crashes when opening any file in the directory with a large number of files.

Checking, I've got 671 files in the directory now, and as a result I can't play any of them.

Server configuration is as before - Centos 6.5, Samba 3.6.9-168.el6_5

If I go into a subdirectory off the directory with 671 files, to a directory containing upto 52 files, the file starts and plays immediately as I expected. Other directories are also OK with smaller number of files - so it appears to be an issue handling larger numbers of files.

I'll try repeating this with a Windows 8 and 7 PC with a file share and see if I get the same results ( but I'd have thought you should be able to replicate this easily ? )
Benf
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby admin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:35 am

Benf wrote:Just to further add - after the long pause I had before playing content, OPlayer HD now crashes when opening any file in the directory with a large number of files.

Checking, I've got 671 files in the directory now, and as a result I can't play any of them.

Server configuration is as before - Centos 6.5, Samba 3.6.9-168.el6_5

If I go into a subdirectory off the directory with 671 files, to a directory containing upto 52 files, the file starts and plays immediately as I expected. Other directories are also OK with smaller number of files - so it appears to be an issue handling larger numbers of files.

I'll try repeating this with a Windows 8 and 7 PC with a file share and see if I get the same results ( but I'd have thought you should be able to replicate this easily ? )

on windows7/8 has no this issue, can you setup an test account on your centos os for us? send a private message to me.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to OPlayer Problems and Solutions [iPhone/iPad]