Opening file(Samba server) with lots of files can take long

OPlayer plays almost any file formats in your iDevice, no need to spend several hours to convert your videos.

Re: Opening file(Samba server) with lots of files can take l

Postby ghostdunks » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:29 pm

Again, how many media files are present in the target folder where you are testing this for this bug? This is key to reproducing the bug

Can you describe every step you are taking to reproduce the problem so we can see if there's anything obvious that you are not doing?
ghostdunks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Benf » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:00 pm

admin wrote:
Benf wrote:I'll try repeating this with a Windows 8 and 7 PC with a file share and see if I get the same results ( but I'd have thought you should be able to replicate this easily ? )

on windows7/8 has no this issue, can you setup an test account on your centos os for us? send a private message to me.

OK, spent the evening testing this out with two Windows 8 boxes - one wired to an AP, and then to the iPad ( different subnets ) and the other a laptop on the same wireless network as the iPad with Win 8.1, the laptop again having the same large content directory. Both are navigable and accessible from other Windows / Linux boxes without issues.

Test 1 : Navigating to the new wired share : I setup the new wired host ( IP address, login credentials ) and then select it. I then have ~30 seconds showing 'Receiving' before 'Network error'

Test 2: To laptop with shares, wireless. : Laptop appears under 'auto discovery' and I'm prompted for credentials. Login, and then can see the contents of the directory ( here 118GB, 700+ files ). Select a file to play ( total filesize 60MB ) and after a ~20 second wait the app crashes completely and takes me back to the desktop.

Test 3: As 2, but instead of playing file from large directory, head into subdirectory and then play ( sucessfully ) a file from there.

To help you fix this, I've got Wireshark captures of Test 2 and 3 taken from the laptop hosting the shares.

For test 2 you can see Oplayer sequentially request all the details of the files in the directory ( which is the reason why I it takes a long time to load ..? ) and for test 2 at the time the app crashes there are some Reset packets coming back.

For test 3 : Same as 2 but instead of loading a file from the large directory, I go to a subdirectory and start to play a file there. I stop the capture a few seconds into the stream when all is well.

Do you have a FTP server I can drop the Wireshark .pcap files off for you to investigate further?
Benf
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby ghostdunks » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:11 am

ghostdunks wrote:Again, how many media files are present in the target folder where you are testing this for this bug? This is key to reproducing the bug

Can you describe every step you are taking to reproduce the problem so we can see if there's anything obvious that you are not doing?

Admin, any extra info you can supply on how you are conducting the test so we can help reproduce it on your end?
ghostdunks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby admin » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:52 am

ghostdunks wrote:Again, how many media files are present in the target folder where you are testing this for this bug? This is key to reproducing the bug

We have tested under Mac OS 10.8, thousands file under a folder.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Benf » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:41 am

OK, captures now sucessfully provided.

One interesting thing I've found is that in the folder with large numbers of files, I can't play a file directly.

However, if I 'search' in that folder, and end up with a few results ( less than 10 ) and then play the file from there - this does work.

This suggests the issue is with handling all the metadata about the files, especially when there are large numbers of files?
Benf
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby admin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:29 am

Benf wrote:OK, captures now sucessfully provided.

One interesting thing I've found is that in the folder with large numbers of files, I can't play a file directly.

However, if I 'search' in that folder, and end up with a few results ( less than 10 ) and then play the file from there - this does work.

This suggests the issue is with handling all the metadata about the files, especially when there are large numbers of files?

thanks for your captures, we will check it.
and we will test this on more platforms to make sure.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ghostdunks » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:09 am

Just checking on this issue. Have you guys managed to reproduce this or even better, fix it?
ghostdunks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby admin » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:19 am

ghostdunks wrote:Just checking on this issue. Have you guys managed to reproduce this or even better, fix it?

Not yet, can you share an account to us to test it from here? 8-)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Benf » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:15 am

admin wrote:
ghostdunks wrote:Just checking on this issue. Have you guys managed to reproduce this or even better, fix it?

Hello can you confirm what progress you have made with the captures I provided showing the issue?

Sharing SMB as you must know over the Internet is a very bad idea.
Benf
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby ghostdunks » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:02 am

Benf wrote:
admin wrote:

Hello can you confirm what progress you have made with the captures I provided showing the issue?

Sharing SMB as you must know over the Internet is a very bad idea.

I agree with Benf, opening up the ports for sharing SMB over the internet is a huge security risk. Also, I think my ISP blocks those ports automatically anyway so I can't even share my SMB shares over the internet from my internet connection.

Have you progressed on the captures already provided, it seems obvious that the problem is in how its reading the metadata of the files.

OR, if you're willing to open up YOUR SMB shares, and provide the details to me and benf, perhaps we can try and troubleshoot from our end why you don't seem to encounter the problem.
ghostdunks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

PreviousNext

Return to OPlayer Problems and Solutions [iPhone/iPad]