Opening file(Samba server) with lots of files can take long

OPlayer plays almost any file formats in your iDevice, no need to spend several hours to convert your videos.

Re: Opening file(Samba server) with lots of files can take l

Postby admin » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:26 am

we tested with windows8.1 samba server, not matter how many files under a folder, i think no need to share it out :|
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ghostdunks » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:58 pm

Ok fine, did you have a look at benfs captures to see what the possible cause of the problem we are seeing is then?

Because I'm still seeing the problem in Windows 7 and Ubuntu
ghostdunks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Benf » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:22 am

admin wrote:we tested with windows8.1 samba server, not matter how many files under a folder, i think no need to share it out :|

The tests I did between my iPad and a Windows 8.1 machine ( ie no Linux/Samba ) showed that at this functional level, oPlayer is broken and cannot handle directories with large numbers of files.

I'm very disappointed that even after going to the trouble of getting network captures showing the issue there's been very little feedback and worse absolutely no progress to a fix. :roll:
Benf
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby ghostdunks » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:45 am

Ok, since I really want this fixed and for some weird reason, the developers of this software can't seem to reproduce this problem OR don't think this is a problem, I've gone to the hassle and cost of setting up a couple of servers in the cloud which have exposed SMB/SAMBA shares which DO exhibit the bug.

I've set up two servers(will send you the credentials and details in a PM).
1) Ubuntu 14.04 with SAMBA installed. This is as basic as they come, nothing else installed other than SAMBA, and no other settings specified other than SAMBA shares set up. Other than that, its a fresh install.
2) Windows Server 2008. Again, nothing else installed or any other settings specified other than opening up a Windows share. Other than that, again, its a fresh install.

There are 5 directories, named "1", "10", "100", "500", "1000", each directory containing the number of the files specified in the name of the directory.If you play the file in the 1 directory, it plays immediately. Even in the 10 and 100 directories, playing a file in those directories are pretty quick. However, when you play a file from the 500 directory, it takes quite some time before it actually does play the file. As per my original post, I understand that it takes longer to get the initial directory file listing as there are more files, but once retrieved, it shouldn't affect how long it actually takes to play the file. The worst situation is when you play a file from the 1000 directory, it crashes before it can actually play the file. Would say that's a pretty big bug. As it seems to be affected by the number of files in the directory, it looks like the player is doing something else before actually playing the file.

Again, I'm happy to have a look at your Samba/SMB setup that you're using to test and see what you're doing that is different to what I'm doing, just send out the details to me via PM.
ghostdunks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby admin » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:05 am

ghostdunks wrote:Ok, since I really want this fixed and for some weird reason, the developers of this software can't seem to reproduce this problem OR don't think this is a problem, I've gone to the hassle and cost of setting up a couple of servers in the cloud which have exposed SMB/SAMBA shares which DO exhibit the bug.

I've set up two servers(will send you the credentials and details in a PM).
1) Ubuntu 14.04 with SAMBA installed. This is as basic as they come, nothing else installed other than SAMBA, and no other settings specified other than SAMBA shares set up. Other than that, its a fresh install.
2) Windows Server 2008. Again, nothing else installed or any other settings specified other than opening up a Windows share. Other than that, again, its a fresh install.

There are 5 directories, named "1", "10", "100", "500", "1000", each directory containing the number of the files specified in the name of the directory.If you play the file in the 1 directory, it plays immediately. Even in the 10 and 100 directories, playing a file in those directories are pretty quick. However, when you play a file from the 500 directory, it takes quite some time before it actually does play the file. As per my original post, I understand that it takes longer to get the initial directory file listing as there are more files, but once retrieved, it shouldn't affect how long it actually takes to play the file. The worst situation is when you play a file from the 1000 directory, it crashes before it can actually play the file. Would say that's a pretty big bug. As it seems to be affected by the number of files in the directory, it looks like the player is doing something else before actually playing the file.

Again, I'm happy to have a look at your Samba/SMB setup that you're using to test and see what you're doing that is different to what I'm doing, just send out the details to me via PM.

thanks, we will check it here, please keep that server for several days.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ghostdunks » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:20 pm

admin wrote:thanks, we will check it here, please keep that server for several days.

Both servers have been up for almost two weeks now, you can confirm the bug now?
ghostdunks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby admin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:21 am

ghostdunks wrote:
admin wrote:thanks, we will check it here, please keep that server for several days.

Both servers have been up for almost two weeks now, you can confirm the bug now?

You can close them now ,the update version is in apple's review, bug fixed with iOS8 theme :)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ghostdunks » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:25 am

Ok great. Will test with newest version once released.

What did you do to fix the bug? ie. what is it coded to do now when retrieving list of files, then playing the files?
ghostdunks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby admin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:52 am

ghostdunks wrote:Ok great. Will test with newest version once released.

What did you do to fix the bug? ie. what is it coded to do now when retrieving list of files, then playing the files?

the ipad version's update is in apple's review.
iPhone version should already got this issue fixed.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ghostdunks » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:00 pm

ghostdunks wrote:There are 5 directories, named "1", "10", "100", "500", "1000", each directory containing the number of the files specified in the name of the directory.If you play the file in the 1 directory, it plays immediately. Even in the 10 and 100 directories, playing a file in those directories are pretty quick. However, when you play a file from the 500 directory, it takes quite some time before it actually does play the file. As per my original post, I understand that it takes longer to get the initial directory file listing as there are more files, but once retrieved, it shouldn't affect how long it actually takes to play the file. The worst situation is when you play a file from the 1000 directory, it crashes before it can actually play the file. Would say that's a pretty big bug. As it seems to be affected by the number of files in the directory, it looks like the player is doing something else before actually playing the file.

Have just tested the latest version(v2.1.0), and the performance issue with playing a file in a directory with a lot of files still exists. You've fixed the bug with the crashing when playing a file from the 1000 directory, but the original problem is still there. It takes a long time before it actually plays the file. ie. if I play a file from the 10 directory, it plays almost immediately, but if I try and play a file from the 1000 directory, it takes 10-15 seconds(if not longer) before it starts caching and playing. As per my original post, I understand that it takes longer to get the initial directory file listing as there are more files, but once retrieved, it shouldn't affect how long it actually takes to play the file.
ghostdunks
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

PreviousNext

Return to OPlayer Problems and Solutions [iPhone/iPad]