movie formats

OPlayer plays almost any file formats in your iDevice, no need to spend several hours to convert your videos.

movie formats

Postby Jim J. » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:03 pm

Hi,

When I tried to play a 1.5GB movie in MKV format, there were two problems.
First off, my iDevice is the Apple iPad 3rd generation, 32GB, Verizon cell.
The aspect ratio was wrong. The aspect ratio was correct in other players. Data from an info page in another player
gives the following info:

general
format : matroska, webm
bitrate : 2048 kb/s
video : h264, yuv420p, 1920x800 [SAR 1:1 DAR 12:5], q=2-31
audio : eng aac, 48000 Hz, 5.1, fltp
metadata : title is "blahblah 2013 1080p BlueRay 264-SPARKS (1)

from IMDB :
Video
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC (21.82 Mbps)
Resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 2.40:1
Original aspect ratio: 2.39:1
Audio
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 16-bit)
disc : Blue-ray, DVD, ultraviolet
time : 91 minutes

If I get this right, the aspect ratio is about 12:5, which is not on OPlayer's list.
From Wikipedia's Aspect Ratio :
"The most common aspect ratios used today in the presentation of films in cinemas are 1.85:1 and 2.39:1.[1] Two common videographic aspect ratios are 4:3 (1.33:1),[a] the universal video format of the 20th century, and 16:9 (1.77:1), universal for high-definition television and European digital television. Other cinema and video aspect ratios exist, but are used infrequently."

[1] The 2.39:1 ratio is commonly labeled 2.40:1, e.g., in the American Society of Cinematographers' American Cinematographer Manual (Many widescreen films before the 1970 SMPTE revision used 2.35:1).

How about adding the most common film formats?

The play of this video was sluggish. This may be due, in part, to the format. Other players ran the film more smoothly and with the correct aspect ratio, but had problems with crashing 19:57 minutes into the film. The screen would turn green and a multi-colored strip of pixels appeared across the top, about three millimeters high.

Hope this helps.

Jim J.
Jim J.
Beignner
Beignner

Re: movie formats redux

Postby Jim J. » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi,

I finally discovered Aspect Ratio/Default. My bad. The aspect ratio is working. The play is still sluggish with audible clicks in the sound at times. Smooth play is desirable. The file plays with noticeable starts and fits in both the video and the audio.
There are too many knobs whose function I am unaware of to go messing around with tweaking.

Jim J.
Jim J.
Beignner
Beignner

Re: movie formats DejaVu

Postby Jim J. » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi,

Just found the help file PDF. You really should put that in a more conspicuous place with bigger letters. The front page of the forum or on the product page would be good.
Before I forget, thanks for making the ad space smaller rather than larger. Some apps have an ad space so large, the distraction makes viewing impossible. Thanks for making the functioning app free. If the 1080p functionality improves, I will buy the ad free version. I may do that anyway.

Jim J.
Jim J.
Beignner
Beignner

Re: movie formats

Postby Jaronoid » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:01 am

What do I do if the custom aspect ration adjustment is not working?
Jaronoid
Beignner
Beignner

Re: movie formats

Postby admin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:44 am

Jaronoid wrote:What do I do if the custom aspect ration adjustment is not working?

all files or a special file?(mp4 file hardware decoding has no this feature)
if it is a speciac file can you share us the file for checking?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to OPlayer Problems and Solutions [iPhone/iPad]