Stutter free MKV playback via transcoding and Mediatomb

AirPlayer is an application for streaming video*, music*, photo* from UPnP/DLNA media servers to your Apple iPhone/iPod/iPad.

Stutter free MKV playback via transcoding and Mediatomb

Postby sikk » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:00 am

Hello,

No problem here - just some information that may help others.

I have Airplayer on two iPhone 4's a 1st Gen iPad and a recent (5th gen?) iPod Touch. I have a large collection of xvid, divx, and x264 encoded videos in avi and mkv containers hosted on a Ubuntu server. I am using Mediatomb as my UPNP Media serverr to serve this collection up to AirPlayer on the iDevices. The xvid and divx files play pretty well, but virtually all the x264 content stutters.

By transcoding MKV's to mpeg2 using ffmpeg, I am getting flawless playback over WiFi (g) to all devices for all content.

Given my primary playback method is via ***, the quality concession is worthwhile to gain access to all video content wirelessly via iDevices.

For me the key to making it all work was the discovery of the correct transcoding settings for Mediatomb. I have included the transcode profile which did the trick below. This config goes in the Mediatomb config.xml file.

Code: Select all
    <profile name="matroska-transcode-iphone" enabled="yes" type="external">
        <mimetype>video/mpeg</mimetype>
        <accept-url>yes</accept-url>
        <first-resource>yes</first-resource>
        <accept-ogg-theora>yes</accept-ogg-theora>
        <agent command="ffmpeg" arguments="-i %in -vcodec mpeg2video -b 4096k -r 25 -acodec mp2 -ab 192k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -async 1 -f dvd -threads 2 -y %out"/>
        <buffer size="1048576" chunk-size="26214" fill-size="52428"/>
     </profile>
sikk
Beignner
Beignner

Return to AirPlayer Problems and Solutions [iPhone/iPad]