Airplayer Using Windows7 as Media Server (Protect Files?)

AirPlayer is an application for streaming video*, music*, photo* from UPnP/DLNA media servers to your Apple iPhone/iPod/iPad.

Airplayer Using Windows7 as Media Server (Protect Files?)

Postby iPaYaMi » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:44 am

Hey everyone, I'm a complete beginner at this and I have no idea how all this network stuff works. I googled a few things and i figured i have to enable sharing (Network Discovery) but for some reason whenever i ticked "On" it automatically went back to "Off" but anyways some how I was still able to find my computer on Airplayer even though Network discovery is still off :S (No idea how it happened)

My main concern right now is the fact that everyone in my house can see my files because of the "HomeGroup" and this not something i want.... I was able to access my pictures, videos, music (even though it bugs for my music i guess maybe its because theres ALOT of mp3s in there) on Airplayer, but i want to limit it only to myself on my iphone so that others in my house can't access my files. I couldnt figure out a way to do that so for now i removed "HomeGroup" sharing from the libraries i dont want to share with everyone. If someone could help me with this i would really appreciate it!
iPaYaMi
Beignner
Beignner

Re: Airplayer Using Windows7 as Media Server (Protect Files?

Postby admin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:44 am

iPaYaMi wrote:Hey everyone, I'm a complete beginner at this and I have no idea how all this network stuff works. I googled a few things and i figured i have to enable sharing (Network Discovery) but for some reason whenever i ticked "On" it automatically went back to "Off" but anyways some how I was still able to find my computer on Airplayer even though Network discovery is still off :S (No idea how it happened)

My main concern right now is the fact that everyone in my house can see my files because of the "HomeGroup" and this not something i want.... I was able to access my pictures, videos, music (even though it bugs for my music i guess maybe its because theres ALOT of mp3s in there) on Airplayer, but i want to limit it only to myself on my iphone so that others in my house can't access my files. I couldnt figure out a way to do that so for now i removed "HomeGroup" sharing from the libraries i dont want to share with everyone. If someone could help me with this i would really appreciate it!

UPnP is shared for local network, so i think the only way is only share out the files you want to share with others, you can setup shared folders in your server side.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Airplayer Using Windows7 as Media Server (Protect Files?

Postby iPaYaMi » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:26 am

admin wrote:
iPaYaMi wrote:Hey everyone, I'm a complete beginner at this and I have no idea how all this network stuff works. I googled a few things and i figured i have to enable sharing (Network Discovery) but for some reason whenever i ticked "On" it automatically went back to "Off" but anyways some how I was still able to find my computer on Airplayer even though Network discovery is still off :S (No idea how it happened)

UPnP is shared for local network, so i think the only way is only share out the files you want to share with others, you can setup shared folders in your server side.

Thanks for the reply! So basically, if i want to access my files using Airplayer... I will HAVE to share it with everyone? I mean, there is no way to password protect some folders? for example if someone else on my network tries to access my pictures library, it asks them for a password? I really want to be able to access my files on my phone but not by sharing it with everyone :S
iPaYaMi
Beignner
Beignner

Return to AirPlayer Problems and Solutions [iPhone/iPad]