UPnP - movies won't play without Internet connection

AirPlayer is an application for streaming video*, music*, photo* from UPnP/DLNA media servers to your Apple iPhone/iPod/iPad.

UPnP - movies won't play without Internet connection

Postby blk_addr » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:53 am

Hello,

I'm putting together a custom project to stream movies/music in the car for road trips. I've set up a Raspberry Pi with XBMC as the UPnP server and a wireless network card acting as an access point. If I boot up without the Ethernet cable plugged in I can browse content and start loading a movie, but it never plays. The second I plug the Ethernet cable in the movie starts playing. I can then disconnect the cable and everything continues to work fine - I can even introduce new devices and Airplayer works on them too.

As a test, I pulled an old router out of the basement and used it to give an address to the Ethernet port on the Pi (again, no Internet connection) but the results were the same.

I know the setup works because while Airplayer is hung loading the movie I can stream to my PS3 and to XBMC on an Android tablet. I can also play movies in another (unnamed) iOS UPnP player but I really prefer Airplayer to the other UPnP clients.

Any ideas? Does Airplayer somehow require a WAN/Internet connection, or at least think there is one?
blk_addr
Beignner
Beignner

Re: UPnP - movies won't play without Internet connection

Postby admin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:07 am

No need internet connections, just need you have connected your media server and ipad/iphone(which installed airplayer) to the same route.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby blk_addr » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I was able to prove your answer correct with another computer - indeed there is no need for an Internet connection. However, there is still something throwing Airplayer for a loop.

I downloaded a UPnP browser on my Android tablet and it was able to use it to stream movies to two separate video players I have installed.

Airplayer is also able to browse content and even load pictures. When I attemp to play a video however it takes several minutes to display a download percentage; once it does, it gets to 60-95+% and hangs there. Once I establish a hard-wired connection to my router with the Ethernet port everything works fine, even if I immediately disconnect the cable. No other UPnP clients I've tested require this connection to be made and all play the movies just fine.

My wireless adapter is assigned an IP of 192.168.2.1 and is *not* bridged to the Ethernet port which is on another network (192.168.1.132). It seems Airplayer is waiting for some kind of network status to change, but I haven't been able to spoof whatever event it expects to occur.

Any thoughts or things I can try?
blk_addr
Beignner
Beignner

Postby blk_addr » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:24 am

I just worked out some issues with support for another iOS UPnP app and it's working fine now as well. I'm really hoping to be able to use Airplayer instead though so please let me know if you have any suggested actions for me to take or tests I can run.
blk_addr
Beignner
Beignner

Postby blk_addr » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:01 am

Well it started working and I have no idea why. I'll continue to use it and try to reproduce the issue and the fix in case it helps anyone else.

And if the AirPlayer devs have any input please let me know.
blk_addr
Beignner
Beignner

Return to AirPlayer Problems and Solutions [iPhone/iPad]