Shuffle not working when Browse by Folder

AirPlayer is an application for streaming video*, music*, photo* from UPnP/DLNA media servers to your Apple iPhone/iPod/iPad.

Shuffle not working when Browse by Folder

Postby thevinn » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:42 pm

I have a one terabyte collection of mp3 files on a DLNA server. I always browse by folder (genre/decade/year).

Once the player starts, no matter what I have it set to, it seems that shuffle never works. How do I get it to choose random songs from the current folder?

Is there a way to shuffle songs recursively from a higher level folder, for example:

Code: Select all
/Urban/
  +/2000's
      +/2007
      +/2008
      +/2009
      +/2010
      +/2011

Is there a way to select the "2000's" folder and shuffle all songs in the sub directories 2007 through 2011?
thevinn
Beignner
Beignner

Re: Shuffle not working when Browse by Folder

Postby thevinn » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:44 pm

Also would like to point out I am testing shuffle by pressing "next song", i.e. "|>" button.
thevinn
Beignner
Beignner

Postby admin » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:49 am

You need to set the play mode button right of the seek bar to shuffle. the next/prev button, always set to the next song, no shuffle function.

and thanks for your second suggestion, haven't found a solution to implement this.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby thevinn » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:44 pm

I did set "shuffle" and when I let the song play, it correctly goes to a new random song.

The problem is that when I press "next song" button, it goes to the next song by folder order instead of going to the next random song in the shuffle.

When shuffle mode is active it should be possible to go forward and backward in the shuffled list. This would be done by calculating the array of shuffled songs ahead of time, so that the order of all shuffled songs is known at once. This way, you can go forward and backward in shuffle order instead of folder order.

For example, if the folder song order is:

a.mp3, b.mp3, c.mp3, d.mp3

Then when shuffle is activated (or any time a folder is chosen), a random shuffle is calculated and stored in a separate array, for example:

c.mp3, a.mp3, d.mp3, b.mp3

Now if shuffle is turned on, and a.mp3 is playing, then d.mp3 will be the next song to play (instead of b.mp3, which would be folder order). Since the list of shuffled songs is known ahead of time (it was calculated when the folder was chosen), it is now possible to go forward and backward in the shuffled list.

For example, when d.mp3 plays I could press "previous song" and we would get a.mp3, instead of c.mp3 (folder order).

Hope this helps, and yes I'm also a programmer.
thevinn
Beignner
Beignner

Return to AirPlayer Problems and Solutions [iPhone/iPad]