Video stuttering

AirPlayer is an application for streaming video*, music*, photo* from UPnP/DLNA media servers to your Apple iPhone/iPod/iPad.

Video stuttering

Postby qery » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:25 am

Hi,
I downloaded this player yesterday and yet I have a problem. All videos are stuttering or playing slower than audio. When playing SD video (about 512x384) it's watchable but I can see skipped frames, when playing HD video (720p) fps drops to cca 1-2. I have tried it on QNAP TS-410 and also Windows Media Player 12. Both are doing the same. I have Iphone 4 and wifi signal strength is excelent (i'm about 5meters from router).
When i installed sysstatslite to iphone i saw that while playing cpu usage is 100%. Is it possible that this cpu is not capable of playing sd video (in xvid codec ofc)?

PS: i tried restarting and closing all apps on iphone and it didn't help
qery
Beignner
Beignner

Re: Video stuttering

Postby admin » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:51 pm

what's your platform, if iPhone4 or iPad, the avi can achieve to 720p, and other formats can achieve to SD.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby qery » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:59 pm

I have Iphone 4.
qery
Beignner
Beignner

Postby admin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:12 am

In the settings page, switch off skip frame and have a retry.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cssjodin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:20 am

qery wrote:Hi,
I downloaded this player yesterday and yet I have a problem. All videos are stuttering or playing slower than audio. When playing SD video (about 512x384) it's watchable but I can see skipped frames, when playing HD video (720p) fps drops to cca 1-2. I have tried it on QNAP TS-410 and also Windows Media Player 12. Both are doing the same. I have Iphone 4 and wifi signal strength is excelent (i'm about 5meters from router).
When i installed sysstatslite to iphone i saw that while playing cpu usage is 100%. Is it possible that this cpu is not capable of playing sd video (in xvid codec ofc)?

PS: i tried restarting and closing all apps on iphone and it didn't help

I bought the AirPlayer application 3 days ago. And I got the same problem!

Im using a QNAP NAS and using it for streaming to a PS3 - it works great. So I bought a AirPlayer to stream to my new ipad2 (that are more CPU powerful than PS3) And its impossible to use it because of the stuttering.
Is it possible to increase cashing? or is it just an ineffective app?

If this is not possible to fix, I want a refund - How do I do that?
cssjodin
Beignner
Beignner

Postby admin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:14 am

If it is mp4 file, you need to enable quicktime plugin in the settings page.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Janoonk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:08 pm

Have the same problem here... Stuttering video on a simple xvid video 640x350 1000kbps framerate using synology Ds211j as a media filesrv.
I get around 1MB/sec transferrate with wifi/ipad so that should not be a bottleneck.
Janoonk
Beignner
Beignner

Postby admin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:37 am

I think if you were using iPhone4 or iPad. it should have no decoding bottleneck, so check whether you have enabled skip frame in the settings page, it will cause shutter.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Janoonk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:07 pm

Well I tested again both settings but now I have killed the app and restarted while the skip frame setting was off and guess what... It seems to work! So i think we have a bug here where changing the skip frame setting only works after restarting the app or ipad. Now only the only bug left is external srt file with subtitles and i am happy!! See other thread.
Janoonk
Beignner
Beignner

Postby Janoonk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Ok hold your horses! After a few times starting/stopping the same movie and doing some other stuff the stuttering is back again! It's difficult to find a pattern but it looks like when the ipad is off for a while that the problems arises.
The 100% workaround is to kill the app and restart and then when i start the movie it always works!
Janoonk
Beignner
Beignner

Next

Return to AirPlayer Problems and Solutions [iPhone/iPad]