OPlayer: Smaller Cache Size / Automated Cache Size for HTTP

All the requests will be recorded down, and we will consider them one by one.

OPlayer: Smaller Cache Size / Automated Cache Size for HTTP

Postby giantg » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:08 pm

This post was originally in the OPlayer Problems / Solutions Forum. I was asked by admin to move it here so here it is (and thanks!):

First I would like to say thank you for such a great app.

I run a personal streaming server at home that streams my music collection and podcasts at random so that I can have my own personal "radio station" and I use OPlayer to stream it on the go / in the car.

While at home I can use RTSP/UDP which seems to start playing almost immediately. However, when away from home / wifi I'm forced to use HTTP/TCP since (I believe) my mobile carrier doesn't allow udp incoming to my iPhone.

No big deal as HTTP/TCP works great!

The stream I run is at 64kbps AAC-HE (or aacplus.) I've found that this seems to work best over 3G cellular as far as sounding "listenable" but remaining relatively low as far as bandwidth requirements (i.e. almost no dropouts.)

The only down side is how long it takes to buffer. I noticed in the "Expert Settings" section that the "Cache Size" parameter can be changed between 0MB, 2MB, 5MB, 10MB, and 20MB. At 2MB it takes about a minute and 20 seconds to buffer before playing.

While this is not the end of the world it does get trying when the phone moves from a wifi hotspot back to cellular (and vice-versa) forcing OPlayer to reconnect to the stream each time and start the one minute 22 second buffering process over again.

Would it be possible to either add smaller "Cache Sizes" or maybe an "Auto" mode that detects the bitrate of the stream upon acquiring it and then buffer what would be about 10 seconds of the stream? I have tried "Cache Size" of 0MB but this does not seem to play well as the stream seems to stop a lot.

Thanks again for a great app and if any of the above would be possible that would be excellent too.
giantg
Beignner
Beignner

Re: OPlayer: Smaller Cache Size / Automated Cache Size for H

Postby steve232 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:30 pm

+1 for this. I regularly listen to a 20k audio stream. It takes a while until caching is finished. It would make more sense to add an option to set the buffer size by time (like buffer 10 seconds).

Thanks for the great app! :)
steve232
Beignner
Beignner

Return to Feature Requests